Monday, May 14, 2012

Who pays for all this stuff anyway?

Green Acres is the place to be...
What? Oh, right. I promised you more city. I guess you are getting a bit tired of all the village stuff. That's ok! I have a side of Phnom Penh I don't think you've seen yet.

Better?
I've been here about 2 weeks now, and it's still as fresh of an adventure as the first day! Some things have changed, however - namely my home. I'll show you around the now-fully-furnished abode next time, but as part of getting said furnishings, I got to visit the 'face' of Phnom Penh.

Yes, that's a Rolls. You should see the Bentleys.
That's right. Every country that relies on tourism has a spot where their most impressive (and expensive) shops are. This area is built specifically so sheltered individuals, such as myself, are drawn to the seeming safety and western-like atmosphere (or at least Tokyo-esqe. It's all good if you are a gamer). It's also a place for the ultra-rich to shop, just because they can.






You remember I told you this place was all polar extremes? Haves and have nots, but no 'have some's?

Cambodia's attempts to scrape the sky.
 Well, with the possible exception of grocery stores, the businesses here follow a similar rule of thumb. You've got your places like the Russian Market and the little storefront shops that are, without exception, everywhere, and then you have this area (it was about 1 street's worth of buildings all together, give or take).

Really pricey, this one.
Now, the question is, are the big stores a bad thing?

Well, no - not necessarily. I'll explain.

With the growth of larger businesses like these, it creates more jobs here. Granted, everyone wants to be their own boss, but for those who are able to get out from under that mindset, there's a lot of good solid income to be had.

In residential terms, the missing middle class is a bad thing. It's a sign of some severe problems in the economy, the hearts of the people, and possibly of corruption in the system.

For business and commercial industry, in terms of overall growth, these places serve a purpose.

They have a bookstore, and a way of keeping people out of oncoming traffic lanes... or trapped in them. Whichever.
Aside from the lesson I received in economics, I also got to have some fun shopping. Aidan got to visit an old military buddy...

The good Colonel and his tasty chicken... now available on delivery!
...and I got a new T.V.

We felt like we knew what we were doing for once!

Nice, huh? Now I can hook up my Playstation, and have a ball.

What? No, I'm not leaving you all in favor of gaming (who just fell over? Someone get them a glass of water.). There's just too much to do and see to be spending all my time in front of a T.V.

Hmm. I suppose the same could be said in America too. Ahh, well.



I ended my journey educated about 110 volts vs 220 volts, and what device you need to overcome it. I am the proud owner of a decent size T.V.. Aidan got his fried chicken, and we all enjoyed a little down time.

Yes, we have sports clubs here, too!
Ok, that's it for the moment. Time permitting, I'll give you a tour tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment