Thursday, July 12, 2012

Row, row, row your boat...


Well, the spiky-haired one gave me back my blog. I hope you didn't miss me too much!

...what? Bring back Aidan?

I'd tell him you said that, but there's a chance I wouldn't get my blog back for awhile. :) For now, you'll just have to settle for me, or as I am known to many a Cambodian (and at least 1 American), "The tall goofy guy"... except for Mara. She knows me as 'Not Eric' (Ot Eric in Khmai!).

Anyway, moving on...

Cambodian Chess has very different rules than America.
As usual, every day around here is its own special adventure. Yesterday was no exception to this rule. We started our journey by heading to Sak Saum, where I planned to help Jess with some work there, and Aidan planned to get the iPad and watch cartoons.

To my surprise, Saurun, our tuctuc driver, asked if I would like to go for coffee!

Well, that's awesome! I immediately jumped on that offer, and Aidan and I were off!

...to a small, hole-in-the-wall little coffee shop up the street. :) Ginny gave us fair warning on what to expect if we drank anything there (see the post about visiting here and make note of the bit about having a list of western bathrooms), and where to sit (stay out of dark corners - mosquitoes tend to congregate there during the day). Ahh, but that's part of the charm, right? :)

Such a studious learner...
Saurun attempted to engage Aidan in a game of chess. Aidan, being unfamiliar with the game, was ready to learn, but Saurun decided he'd rather play someone who already knew the game.

Enter me, with my geeky skill set, and decent chess playing ability. After a brief lesson on the differences between American and Cambodian Chess (pieces move differently - mostly restricted. The queen can't do much of anything, and the bishops move like really slow monks, one step at a time), I took to the field of battle....

...and lost. What? You already know my style. How many of these posts have I written where I actually came out on top? It's ok though - I enjoyed myself, and more importantly so did Saurun. He said he'd play me again any day. Aidan, for his part, sat and drank a Samurai - which is basically a strawberry energy drink. Why Saurun ordered that for him, I don't know, but it led to our next awesome destination...

Doesn't this just look inviting?

...the Pool! That's right, we took some time to go swimming. This was perfect, considering how much energy little man had to burn off. Also, they have a little eatery here, which was great since the chess game lasted awhile and I was getting hungry.

Arr! There be a beastie in these here waters!

What? That's a lot of french fries? Why yes, yes it is. Now, ordering french fries is not an easy task here. First, you find a menu, then you point to the fries and say you want 3 large fries.

Yes, that's the easy part. Next, you sit quietly and smile while the nice cashier gives to 'the look' and then says '3? You want 3?!?'

"Yes, 3." I confirm.

"3? ...are you sure??" she asks again.

"Yes." I say.


...and then one more look. My response at that point was 'We have many people.' Finally she relented and let us order 3. Unfortunately, we did have many people, but 2 of us weren't hungry. Aidan and I had to take them all down ourselves. Oh darn. :) We also had a run in with a small, furry creature trying to get Aidan's fries, but it ran off when I got near.

Arr! There be the beast! After me fries, it was! Arr...

Once we got back from the pool, it rained! Yes, rain is an important event here. You see, when it rains hard, children play soccer, tuctucs park on the sidewalk, and Saurun has to go buy a disposable raincoat.

For the low price of .80 cents, you too can own one of these handy devices!





It also means the end of most forms of travel. We were going to have people over for fellowship and a special treat, but the roads weren't roads anymore...

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the street...

Rain rain, go away...:) Until next time, try to stay dry and don't let the Catbeast, or Aidan, eat all your fries!



10 comments:

  1. Love this. And the pool is that cat's home!! I've seen it before. One time, it jumped in the pool and freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arr! Beware ye the catbeast! :) Yeah, it's been there both times we've gone. It reminded me of the 'smelly cat' song from the old Friends TV show.

      Delete
  2. Seeing all those fries made me miss you all just that much more. I hope they have ketchup over there - maybe Aidan could try one of the fried bugs with his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they have ketchup, but the ketchup at the pool is pretty bad. I need to bring my own next time. Most places serve sweet chili sauce too. The pool's is terrible, but KFC's is very good and goes well with potatoes. :)

      Delete
  3. Cheers, next time you play Cambodian chess could you please ask your opponent about the king's and queen's special moves - when the king leaps like a knight on its first move, can it go to the third rank (c3, e3); can it capture on that move; and can it pass through a square under attack? Likewise, can the queen capture on its special move? Sources on the web contradict each other, I've written several times to the Cambodian chess federation (no response) and pestered a friend who was in Cambodia last month to ask the locals - something got lost in translation apparently, or it is a closely guarded secret because nobody seemed to be able to provide an answer. Thanks, and apologies for the intrusion.
    Georgi Markov, Bulgaria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgi, I'll do my best. The difficulty lies with finding someone who both knows how to play chess, and also knows enough English to communicate on such a high level as to discuss the particulars of special moves. I will say, I got the distinct impression that many of the rules were closely guarded, and only given when I managed to break one. I do not know if this is due to the proclivity of the people to gamble (and want to win) at chess, or if it's simply impatience. I'll let you know what I come up with, ok?

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ryan!

      Best wishes,
      Georgi

      Delete
    2. I'm still digging. The answer I got was a confusing "yes, can, but not yet' when asking about taking a piece with the queen's special move. He didn't elaborate. I think I'll have to actually engage someone in a game and try the moves myself since that's the only time I get straight answers. I'll keep you posted.

      Ryan

      Delete
    3. This approach will almost certainly lose you a game or two I'm afraid :-)

      Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year!

      Georgi

      Delete
  5. Georgi,

    I didn't see your comment. Many apologies!

    I believe that you are correct, which may have been the point. :) I don't mind losing if it brings the answers, but finding someone to play has proved difficult. I will ask my associate, who hangs out with the teenagers at Father's House, if she can find someone who is a master at the game. I haven't given up!

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete