Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Am I really the crazy one here...?

No idea what he likes to do in his off time...
So, guess what this post is about! Yep, it's Aidan!

More specifically, this is the post where I answer the one burning question everyone seemed to have about me moving. You see, along with the 'you're nuts' and 'I think I just swallowed a bug' looks I got, a common follow up was 'What about Aidan?'.

For some reason, people question your sanity when you want to bring a 7 year old to a third world country. Like I'm the Mad Hatter or something...

...please pass the tea.

How's he like it? You tell me.
Anyway, the question... Well, let me give you a run down play-by-play.

So, in the States, Aidan was frequently a target for bullies. Yes, they have those in 1st grade. It is true that your first reaction as a parent isn't to haul your child as far away as possible when they are bullied. No, thoughts ranging from complaining to the principal to having strong words with parents (What tazer? This thing in my hand? Um... no... it's just my... new cell phone... antenna.). That said, the reason for the bullying was, primarily, his heart.

Aidan and his best friend Aaron.
What's wrong with his heart? Well, it's big. Very big.

You see, he loves everyone. He's kind, considerate, and generally quite funny.

In the States, this was apparently seen as open season for being picked on. I can relate, as I and several of my friends (some of whom read this blog - hey guys!) got picked on in 1st grade too.







But here...? No, kindheartedness is a trait to be valued, and the kids love him all the more for it.

What about school, you ask?


He loves his books! No, really! Ok... he's not THAT enthusiastic about school. You'd probably worry if he was.

He has an awesome teacher, if I say so myself. He loves doing his work - as much as any 7 year old does (he'd rather be playing). Most of all, he loves stealing this blog.


Larceny at its best.






















In short, he's flourishing. He gets to play with children who love and adore him. He eats excellent food...

See?
...and he smiles a whole lot more than he did before.

Tell me, those of you with children, how would you feel if that happened to your own children? Imagine you found a place where your child was super happy, had friends that never made fun or got in spats, and you didn't have to worry about bullying, having to sign forms to prevent your child from being automatically enrolled in inappropriate courses (Nice job on that, Florida school system!), or being concerned about him or her coming home with bad habits.

What? You aren't looking at me like I'm crazy anymore...

...even if I do seem to live in Wonderland.


Clownin' around. Arm noises are universal in any country.
So what's next?

Well, he'll keep growing, stealing my blog, and generally having a grand time, usually by chasing me around on a bike or hopping on big dawg and taking off for Saang, where he's friends with half of Father's House.

Eventually, we'll bring in sub teachers to broaden his experience a bit more, and teach special subjects like Khmai or maybe Music if we can convince Eric to hold a class or two.










In Aidan's words - "Big. Daaaaawg."

He's also hanging out with our cook and with Mara, so maybe he'll learn to cook and clean.

...okay, there's the look again! Crazy isn't all bad, you know....

















So, to sum things up, you now know I do not live in a grass hut, and Aidan is doing better than fine. Still look like I'm crazy?


He's a daredevil, that one.

...well, that's enough for tonight I think. I have a white rabbit to follow.

Till next time. Keep sending questions, and always remember to wear your helmet when you are on a moto. Keep smiling!

...just like Aidan.

1 comment:

  1. This is truly great!!! It sounds like (for now) you have made the best decision for all of you! I have a child very similar in qualities as Aidan...wonderful traits! I am for one, highly impressed with your wise choice, and even envious.

    ReplyDelete