Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Back Home...

So, as I sat and pondered what I might write about next, it occurred to me that most of my friends and family have a lot more on their minds than watching me post about sneaky 7 year olds, giant geckos, and how odd it sounds when the Khmer redo a popular song. Don't believe me? They have Bruno Mars, the Khmer version, available for listening online.

Anyway, I thought I would simply dedicate this post to the people back home. You, my readers, are my support system over here. You give me a creative outlet, and occasionally someone to talk to in something other than my limited Khmai skills.

Colorado, as it was meant to look.


So, home. Granted, Cambodia is really my home now, but I leave a piece of myself in two other areas as well. As you know from reading, I am originally from Florida. I also lived many good years in Colorado.

Florida, as I like to think about it.

The reason for this post is really just to let everyone know I'm thinking about them, and praying. I'd like to ask you, the readers, to do the same.

You see, for those only paying attention to their current location, both Florida and Colorado are experiencing some pretty bad disasters. Florida is drowning, and Colorado is burning.

Enough to bring tears, and not just from smoke. Courtesy local news/Facebook.

Having declared a state of emergency, both places are not having a good time of things. The fires in Colorado Springs are forcing many from homes, and destroying anything in their path. People are displaced, possibly homeless now, and in distress.

For those of you in Colorado, please stay safe. Any other readers interested in helping those in need should head to http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20935254 and read the article.

The water eats away roads too. Courtesy again Facebook and local news.

The floods in Florida are doing pretty much the same. Homes are destroyed, people evacuated... you get the idea. For those in Florida, just get the essentials and get out if you are in danger of flood waters. Head for higher ground, and avoid driving on roads if you can't see below the surface of the water.

As before, if you aren't in Florida and want to help, the Red Cross is setting up shelters. http://www.redcross.org/

This post will be short and sweet today. Cambodia is relatively calm today. No fires (aside from the people cooking or the guy that has a wood stove attached to his bike), and no flooding (yet). Thanks to everyone who's supported me on this trip.

Oh, and before I go, one last thing...

Yes, that's a jackalope with a lightsaber. I didn't want you to accuse me of being too serious!
Don't forget to smile and laugh, especially if you are in a hard hit area.

Why? Because, as my Mother-in-law likes to say, if you don't laugh, you'll cry.

Please stay safe everyone. I'll get back to our normal funny-but-true posts tomorrow, ok?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for thinking about Colorado. So far it has only been West of I-25. The Flying W Ranch is gone and numerous of houses in Manitou Springs are also gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the Flying W. I never visited, but it was still a part of Colorado living. I hope they rebuild. You guys ok so far where you are?

    ReplyDelete