Monday, August 19, 2013

A heart of gold.

Ok, so I have a whole 'nuther post planned that I've been working on for 3 or 4 days now (yes, sometimes it takes awhile. Like you didn't know that already!), but something else more important came up.

I wanted to talk to you about something... well, ok - someone.

Those are snax he is holding.

This is Jim [pronounced "Heem". As in, you know this guy? Yes, I know heeeem (Best Igor voice)]. He is our beloved Tuk Tuk driver, and a good friend. He's done a lot for our family... removed dead ratasauruses (I came from Florida, and even I thought the rat was huge), plays games with Aidan, ferries me around, and helps me up when I trip and fall. Not that that happens or anything.

Really. Not at all. ...stop looking at me like that.

As I've gotten to know his family, I've realized just what a gem we have. He has a wife (same big goofy smile) and 3 kids - 1 boy and twin girls.

Cuties

Why is he so special? Well, he's selfless. He literally puts everyone else first. No, not in that "Hey, you!-I'm-putting-you-first-so-check-out-how-humble-I-am" sort of way. He just... does. If it needs fixing, he'll fix it - even for complete strangers. He laughs and smiles at everyone, and everyone likes being around him.

The... great... mustachio!!!

Why am I writing this? I wanted to show you why so many of the people here are important. He's one of many that have a great beauty deep within their souls. Here, let me explain...

So, a few days ago, I hop in the Tuk Tuk and let him know my manly attempt to swing open the LARGE METAL GATE met with mixed results. I.E., I hurt my arm, and felt really old.

His responce was sympathy, of course, and a chuckle at being old. Then he told me he was sorry he couldn't come get me earlier (he was running late that day). His daughter was sick.

Ok, no biggie right? People you work with would make the same apology.

...Except his daughter has dengue fever. She sleeps alot, has a high fever, distended tummy, and increasingly lower blood pressure. He apologized again, saying he had to bring her for blood transfusions in a few hours and could only help me out for a little while. (Before you go all "Why didn't you let him go home to his daughter?!?!?!", he wouldn't hear of it.)

I went with him today when he visited. His wife was so blessed I came. They both gave me goofy grins!


His daughter was effectively gravely ill, with an incurable (by medicine) illness that's very nasty and dangerous. Most men would grieve, or worry, or blow off everything else. Not Jim. He just carries on, takes care of his family, and looks to help others in-between.

What if you could have a heart like his? Innocent... fulfilled... selfless?

What a treasure that would be, hmm? Worth giving your all for? Worth moving to a third world, stinky, dirty, hot nation?

Yup, I think so too.


1 comment:

  1. We should all live like that. Tell him your mother appreciates all the good things he does for you.

    ReplyDelete